31 May 2011

May 2011 Mentionables

As May draws to a close, I am exhausted. I work in higher education and this time of year is always a time of hustle and bustle. Beyond being an administrator, I'm also a graduate student and May meant preparation for taking my own final exams. But as the month ends, I have a lot to look forward to. Summer time means quiet time around the office, a time to work on intellectually stimulating research projects, attend conferences, hopefully take a few vacations, and rejuvenate before the onslaught of the fall semester.

Before moving on, however, I'd like to share with you a few things (books, products, events, etc.) that I read/discovered/did/purchased during the month of May that are worth a mention.

Before sharing the first item with you I have to divulge something about myself. I am a bibliophile. I adore books. I like the way they feel in my hands, I like the way they smell, my heart flutters every time I walk into a library, and I shudder at the sight of Kindles.


So, it should therefore come as no surprise that I was absolutely beyond thrilled when I purchased and received in the mail a beautiful velvet ribbon book mark.



Isn't it just lovely? I love the creme colored rose and the blue velvet ribbon is sublimely...velvety!

It was hand-made and lovingly wrapped and shipped by Andrea Singarella, a fellow blogger who also sells beautiful hand-made trinkets. Check out her website at AndreaSingarella.com

She even included a personal hand written thank you, some salt water taffy, and a candy necklace.


Thanks again, Andrea! I love it.

Next up, and no surprise, is a book. "Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By" by Huffington Post columnist Lesley M. Blume. Organized like an actual encyclopedia, with whimsical illustrations, it's a fun and easy read. I have to agree with Ms. Blume, we should indeed bring back calling cards, book plates, and Florida water (just to name a few of the nostalgic curiosities regaled in the book).


In keeping with the book theme (and I swear I did not intend for all of my May mentionables to be book-related but it seems to have just turned out that way) are 2 book cases that I bought at Ikea. I loved the irregularly sized shelves and they fit perfectly in the gables of my upstairs office.


I'm still working out the placement of all of the books and still looking for random cha-ch-kas to place throughout for interest.

To close out what has been a very hectic month, I'll end with a quote...

"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance"- Confucius .....Very fitting, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment